Welcome to all who are pursuing their career as Solaris Unix Admin. Objective of this page is to create a one stop link for those preparing for Solaris Unix Admin interviews. Why to wait lets start the questions and answers
1. How to find the boot disk in Solaris ?
Ans: #prtconf -vp|grep boot
2. How will you check the drivers in solaris ?
3. How will you replicate a file system in solaris ?
Ans: #ufsdump 0uf – /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 | (cd /newmount; ufsrestore rf -)
(you need to create mount point /newmount before this command)
4. How will you check solaris system is 64bit or 32 bit ?
5. How will you install bootblk image in solaris ?
# /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
6. How will you replicate the partitions of one disk into other disk ?
#prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2|fmthard -s – /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s2
7. How will you check hard disk errors in solaris ?
#iostat -En|grep -i hard
8. How will you enable auto boot from OS ?
9. How will you set alternate boot disk from OS ?
#eeprom “nvrmrc=devalias mirrordisk
(physical path can be obtained from #echo|format command)
10. How will you get cpu information of solaris server ?
in solaris 10 #psrinfo -vp will give more information
11. What is the solaris equivalent command of top ?
12. How will you check the dual path solaris ?
if powerpath is installed use poermt command
#powermt display dev=all
(you will find powermt in /etc/powermt path)
if veritas is installed and configured throgh vxdmp adm then use it
#vxdmpadm listctlr all
# vxdmpadm getsubpaths dmpnodename=c2t1d0s2
Now in solaris 10 mpathadm available with package SUNWmpathadm, you can configure multipaths using this tool also. If its configured you can used
#/usr/sbin/mpathadm show lu /dev/rdsk/c4t6xxxxxs2