How to find wwn of HBA cards in AIX OS ?
- Check available fc cards using ‘lsdev -Cc adapter|grep fcs”
- lscfg -vl fcsX (Where X is number)
- Also you can find using ‘fcstat fcsX’
How to scan new LUN disks assigned by storage team and identify them ?
- lsdev -Cc disk (pre scan output)
- cfgmgr (this will scan all the hardware), specific FC hardware then ‘cfgmgr -l fcsX’
- lsdev -Cc disk (post scan output), you will find the new LUN disks in the list.
- lspv (will give new storage lun disk without pvid)
How to verify Lun device id to confirm before adding to vg ?
- lscfg -vpl <disk name>|grep VPD e.x. lscfg -vpl hdiskpower0|grep VPD
- if you are using powerpath as multipath software. then powermt display dev=all|grep “Logical\ device\ ID”
How to verify storage disk size allocated to your aix box
- bootinfo -s hdiskpower3
- output: <size in mb will be displayed here>
How to extend non cluster file system using newly allocated storage disk ?
- Check newly al
- Extend the vg adding the disk “extendvg myvg01 hdiskpower3”
- Verify added free space “lsvg myvg01|grep “FREE PPs”
- chfs -a size=+10G /app
- df -gt /app (to confirm new size of the file system)
How to extend cluster file system ?
- To extend file system which is in cluster, need to follow different procedure
- Verify disk attribute for reserver policy and chage it to no reserver, so that OS will not reserve and allows to failvoer to another node.
- lspv (verify if new disk got any pvid or not, ideally it should be none as i’t s anew LUN”
- Verify reserver policy
- lsattr -El hdiskpower3|grep reserve_policy. If it shows “no_rserve” it’s good. If not then change the plicy
- chdev -l hdiskpower3 -a reserve_policy=no_reserve
- make it persistent with -P (upper case)
- chdev -l hdiskpower3 -a reserve_policy=no_reserve -P
- lsattr -El hdiskpower3|grep reserve_policy. It should show “no_rserve”
- Assign a pv id
- chdev -l hdiskpower3 -a pv=yes
- verify with lspv
- As it’s shared disk between cluster nodes. Other node when you run this command it should assign same pvid.
- Add disk to cluster vg using smitty
- smitty cl_admin ==> Storage ==> Volume Groups ==> Set Characterisitics of a Volume Group ==> Add a Volume to a Volume Group ==> select the volume group to which you need to add free disk ==> select the free disk by choosing free pvid ==> [ENTER} to execute and “Escape 0” to exit smitty
- lsvg <vgname> will show free PP’s and it’s size
- /usr/es/sbin/cluster/sbin/cl_chfs -a size=+5G /app (+5G indicates we are extending file system with additional 5Gb space
- df -gt /app
Some disk query commands in AIX
This query of disk will give it’s vg information
#lqueryvg -Atp hdiskpower3
To see disk path
To see list of disks in a system
#lsdev -Cc disk (you can replace disk with tape/adapter to see those devices)
To see vg information
To see attributes of a disk
#lsattr -El hdiskpower3